Saturday, April 20, 2013

The Aeneid

In class, we have been reading the Aeneid. This past week, we read book IV about the queen. I really enjoyed that one. It was about the queen, Dido, who was contemplating on if she wanted to re-marry after her first husband. She thought bad about it since she thought she was breaking her vow about being faithful to him but then her sister told her to do whatever makes her happy. She marries a Trojan captain, Aeneas,  but he doesn't believe he's a good husband and he thinks he really isn't married to Dido. He sees her as just a "fling".  He then had to choose between Dido or his future country. What did he choose? His country!!! Dido was very mad and told him that she will haunt him. She becomes very depressed about everything and decides to kill herself with a sword.
One of our assignments this week was to do the RWLD. In that was two clips of the opera of  Dido and Aeneas. Both those clips seemed very powerful and you could feel the emotion in it. I enjoy doing the RWLD's. I learn a lot from them along from what's in the book!
Picture courtesy of nga.gov.au
For my independent book, I have not found the time to read this week! I've been getting more hours at work  and adding clinicals on to that, I have no time to do anything! Senior year is kicking my butt! Hopefully I find time this week to finish reading my first short story and start on the other one that's in the book! I have three days off next week so I should have plenty of time to finish the book! I'm crossing my fingers!

1 comment:

  1. Sorry to hear life is so busy. I do understand how difficult it is to balance all those things. I am glad to read that you have enjoyed the RWLV and the reading this week. The Dido story really gets to me. I do not find Aeneas heroic; he should never abandon a love. That's just wrong! What do you think?

    ReplyDelete